Who is SAMMinistries?
Since 1983, San Antonio Metropolitan Ministry, Inc. (better known as SAMMinistries) has operated as an interfaith ministry whose mission is to help the homeless and those at risk of becoming homeless attain self-sufficiency by offering, with dignity and compassion, shelter, housing and services. SAMMinistries also provides volunteers opportunities to be renewed and fulfilled as they serve. Today, SAMMinistries’ highly recognized Continuum of Care model is supported by more than 175 churches and synagogues and over 3,000 volunteers.
Transitional Living and Learning Center: Provides transitional living, life skills training and support for up to two years.
Transitional Housing: 25 Houses in San Antonio and Bexar County available for rent for families progressing toward self-sufficiency, in a two-year program under the guidance of a caseworker.
Homeless Prevention Services: Offers individuals and families monetary assistance and referrals to bridge the gap between a crisis situation and stability.
Donation Services Warehouse, Job-Training and Educational Assistance at Haven for Hope
The Haven for Hope Campus offers a place where many agencies that care for the homeless can provide their services in a unified manner. SAMMinistries serves this campus and the community through our Donation Services Warehouse; accepting and disbursing clothing, household goods, furniture and helping people movie to a place of their own. Our Job-Training and Employment Development Services help men and women from Haven for Hope and SAMMinistries' programs in their efforts to improve their futures by enriching their employment skills. In addition, our Educational Services provides assistance to those with needing help to further their educational goals.
- Established by 11 downtown congregations in 1983
- FY11 Annual operating budget of $7.2 million
- In FY10 more than 10,729 volunteer opportunities resulted in 36,585 hours of service
- SAMMinistries' Furniture For A Cause is located at 5254 Blanco Rd. and all proceeds benefit SAMMinistries
- Largest provider of homeless services in the City of San Antonio.
FACTS ABOUT SAN ANTONIO HOMELESSNESS
- On any given day, there are 4,000 homeless men, women and children in San Antonio.
- 70% of homeless have been homeless over 1 year
- 18% of request for emergency shelter could not be met
- 31% of the homeless are families with children
- 64% of homeless family members are children
- 37% of the homeless women living in shelters are employed
- 27% of the homeless men living in shelters are employed
- $350 is the median monthly income of a homeless family
- 42 years old is the average age of a homeless adult in San Antonio
- 6 years old is the average age of a homeless child In San Antonio
- In FY11, SAMMinistries provided351,100 nights of shelter and supportive services to 5,859 men, women, and children
- In FY11, SAMMinistries served 1,401 families, which included 2,500 children
*Percentages and averages based on the San Antonio 2008 Point In Time Survey
CAUSES OF HOMELESSNESS IN SAN ANTONIO
- Lack of affordable housing
- Low paying jobs
- Mental illness and the lack of needed services
- Substance abuse and the lack of needed services
- Domestic violence
- Large family households